SLOVENIAN SPECIALITIES IN THE 1970s
by Neja and Nika 9.B
BUCKWHEAT PORRIDGE (AJDOVA KAŠA)
Styria buckwheat porridge dough:
1kg buckwheat flour,
1liter salted boiling water,
The Filling: 50dag curd, 20dag sugar 2dl cream, 3 eggs, 8 pickled apples
The Dressing: 4dl cream, fat for baking pan,
flour Pour salted water.
- Knead the dough roll out to half a centimeter thick.
- Cut it into some pieces the size of the pan.
- Put a layer of dough on a well greased baking tray.
- Spread the filling and cover it with dough. Repeat until all the filling has been used up.
- The last layer at the top should be the filling.
- Pour the cream over the top and bake in a fairly hot oven.
- When baked, cut into slices and
- sprinkle with sugar when still warm.
MLINCI – SLOVENIAN PASTA TATTERS
1 kg soft flour
5 yoke of egg
50 g oil
- Put all the ingredients together and knead into a dough
- Let it rest for some minutes
- Make 6 small loaves and roll each one out into a round circle, but not too thin – make it as thin as the edge of a knife
- Bake them in an oven that has been pre-heated to 180°C
- The 'mlinci' are ready when they are light yellow in colour, a bit swollen with bubbles.
- When cooled, break them into pieces into a bowl, pour water over them to which has been boiled and salted.
- Once the 'mlinci' become soft, pour out the excess water.
- They can now be dressed with cracklings or minced lard