WASTE MANAGEMENT ACTIVITIES
A significant amount of daily generated solid waste can be reused with relatively little effort, but unfortunately this is not done, on the contrary - the waste continues to harm the environment. That is why there is an urgent need for activities in the field of waste management and recycling, which are a basic prerequisite for life on our planet.
Kindergarten children are the ideal target group to show how we can reduce the Earth's carbon footprint and thus help the sensitive environment.
The aim is to teach children from an early age about the environmental challenges we face today and to show them that through waste recycling and management projects, they can address these challenges: for example, by composting food waste, they can to successfully grow fruits, vegetables and flowers in our organic gardens.
The waste management activities in kindergarten "Kalina Malina" are carried out on the basis of the Strategy and plan for waste management developed by the Municipality of Pazardzhik. It includes several areas:
Generation - the total amount of household waste in the kindergarten depends on the number of children and staff, as well as on the amount generated by each person. We are big kindergarten with 12 groups and 52 people staff. So the main waste products are from daily life in the kindergarten like plastic cups, paper, plastic bags and etc.
In order to reduce the total amount of municipal waste that is disposed of in the environment, it is necessary both to increase the recycling rate and to minimize the disposal of waste.
The main waste in the kindergarten is food waste. Sanitary regulations lay down rules for the collection of food waste in special containers equipped with lids and located in a place inaccessible to children. It is forbidden to dispose of other waste in containers.. Tanks should be rinsed and disinfected daily.
Collection - Disposal of organic waste in containers for separate collection and packaging in containers for mixed municipal waste leads to economic losses, the amount of landfilled waste increases and causes serious damage to the environment and human health. To avoid these damages it is necessary to collect kitchen organic waste in separate containers. Composting of both kitchen and garden vegetable waste is also used.
Recycling - this is a process using materials (waste) for the production of new products to avoid the loss of potentially useful materials. This process reduces raw material yield, energy consumption and air and water pollution. You can see our Rubbish family, this are our bins in the kindergarten where separate collection is really done.
Reuse of waste materials - especially relevant in kindergarten.
Activities with children and parents to reduce, recycle or reuse waste in kindergartens under the motto: "Do not throw me away! Make me one more thing!
1.Separate collection of waste in groups / 11 groups / in specially made containers by teachers and called "Rubbish Family"; conducting situations in the educational field "Social World" on the topic.
2. Composter – where we collecting some of the food waste, leaves and coffe waste and etc.
3. "Waste products" - production of products from the collected waste in groups - decorations, play materials, birthdays, dolls, puppet theater sets, etc. Under the skilful hands of the children, empty bottles and cups turned into beautiful products - flowers in pots and vases; Snowman; garlands; snowflakes; with scissors and glue, brush and crayons the empty rolls of toilet paper turn into beautiful pencil cases, baskets for Easter eggs; empty bottles and cups become a beautiful decoration.
4. Action: "Let's give the paper a second life" - under this motto a campaign was held - collecting waste paper. The purpose of the action is to draw the attention of teachers, children, their parents to the problem of destroying such wealth as the forest
5. Consultation for parents "How to make our lives cleaner or separate waste collection" - a presentation through which parents learned about what waste is, in what groups they are divided; what is the significance of separate garbage collection
6. Survey with parents on the topic: "Waste Management" - the purpose of the survey is for parents to understand the importance of the problem we are talking about with children, to feel its importance. The parents shared with each other information about the possible options for reducing the amount of waste, taking into account their types.