In this part, the students present details of the history of numbers answering these points :
A. Warm up : Find the most interesting story about numbers or interesting picture or puzzle connected with the topic – it should be short and easy to understand.
B. In that lesson you should answer for at least these questions:
- Where and when the numbers were invented?
- Why 0 and 1 weren’t at first treated as real numbers ?
- When 0 was firstly accepted as a number and why?
- Which numbers came first : negative or fractions?
- Which irrational number is the first known one?
- What was the purpose of accepting the root of -1 When was it done and by whom?
- What are the relations between the sets of numbers: natural, integers, rational, irrational, real and complex and how it refers to actions between numbers.
C. You have to propose some tasks to check
- the understanding of relations between different sets of numbers,
- the way of use of appropriate symbols,
- recognition of different type of numbers,
- actions between numbers
D. Sum up – propose a poster or happening about the world of numbers.