This project is based on a scientific collaboration : Each school needs the measurement of a partner school to obtain the final result. Schools from 4 continents are involved.
This project runs from January to December. Its aim is to calculate the circumference of the Earth, reproducing Eratosthenes experiment. The work process is well defined and agreed with the partner schools
The project is supported by Institutional partnerships
and the students are organized in international Task Forces
teams. Results are published in the day pages
and in 12 monthly Newsletters
Collaborative measures are also organized at fixed astronomical dates
Collaborative measures are also organized for special events
Previous Eratosthenes projects
Access to 2005 to 2014 eTwinning projects are no longer possible
All the archives 2005 to 2021 on eratosthenes.eu
| 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 |
Eratosthenes Earth Experiment eTwinning group
Experimental activities will lead you to this result:
1. Show the curve of earth's surface and the parallelism of solar rays.
2. Observe the evolution of the shadow of a staff and deduce the course of the sun.
3. Discover the moment of solar midday (the time when the shadow is at its shortest).
4. Use a gnomon to deduce the angle of solar rays compared to the vertical.
5. Use the result of the measure from a partner to calculate the circumference of the Earth
The teachers guide and the pedagogic module details those activities in the EEE group
Draw the Geogebra figures (Models and tutorial)
Inspiring Transdisciplinar activities (Singing, Drawing, Acting, Visiting, Designing, Hallowing, Observing, Gaming, Coding, Gardening)