A reporter from Yle regional news arrived to broadcast live on the morning show. Two Finnish Erasmus students and one teacher were interviewed on-air about the Erasmus event and how it effects young peoples’ lives. (The audio clips cannot be published on the project’s website due to technical and copyright reasons.) Also, other students and teachers had a chance to see the broadcasting van and try some reporters equipment.
After this the Yle reported continued with a presentation on Yle’s activities, with focus on producing news. She told about her own work, making mostly human interest stories in the morning show around the Pirkanmaa region. A discussion arose for instance about how reporters check information backgrounds in news production.
Students were asked to brainstorm about news topics, from local to global, which would interest them. In the debriefing, students brought up especially taboo topics, related for example to crime and sexuality.
News ideas that the students came up with for Yle:
- what’s happening in the military
- news about traveling and different locations
- More environmental topics: What kind of changes are happening around the world
- More about people's interests
- Possibilities for hobbies
- What's new in entertainment (music, movies, games etc.)
- More about regular people
- Science related news, new discoveries etc.
- people can call in the radio and discuss+ tell their opinion about a given topic, so people can see the different sides of opinions
- sports, music, food, local festivals, topical news, interviews of young people
- news of cinema and theatre
- Events that are not well known and where young people hang out
- Student life, like tips for places or things to do with student budget or news in the studying field
- Famous people (singers and actors) that young people know like from tv series or bands
- Music artist that are not well known
- Information about new hobbies that aren't that common.
- Funny anecdotes, funny stories from people what has happened to them
- Easy access news straight to the point
- We want news about "taboo" stuff, masturbation, rape, homosexuslity etc.
- Problems in our democracy
- Tip of the day to improve the climate situation: one small solution or positive fact per day about the climate situation. Like the recipe of the day but for climate.
- Why elderly people are more conservartive than the younger generation?
- How does snow effect disabled people?
- corona virus
- charity events
- Fake news about influencers (for instance Auronplay)
- Women sports
- Dangerous in the road (animals) ELKS
- Snow problems
- Young people using drugs in this area (Virrat)
- Local columns
- Local sport
- Snow level of ski area
- small town life and problems, like young people not having much to do
- What should Virrat do to get more inhabitants?
- Virrat has double or even triple the amount of inhabitants in the summer. Why is Virrat so popular in the summer?
- Kesä Virrat soi- festival and other festivals
- Art exhibitions
- Virrat stories like Martti Kitunen
- Virrat services
- Major projects in various schools, like Erasmus