Date: 14 & 17 May 2019
Topic: “Reportage about Messolonghi lagoon”
Location: Messolonghi lagoon, Saltworks of Messolonghi + Working at school
Teams: 6 (4 teams consist of 8 students and 2 of 9 students)
- To make a reportage on a real field with the joy of observation and research, cooperation and creativity.
- To play the role of a reporter
- To take an interview in real conditions.
- Learn how to select information on a real field, evaluate it and use it to write an article.
- Learn how to prepare an interview (questions etc.) and carry it out.
- Boost critical thinking
- Boost teamwork skills
- Boost communication skills
More objectives (Indirect):
- Teams will comprehend the inter-dependence and interaction between man and the environment.
- They will cultivate their evaluation abilities towards human interference in the lagoon and the measures taken for its protection.
- They will develop a responsibility code and sense of personal contribution to the solution of environmental issues that degrade the lagoon.
- Teams will comprehend the procedure activities that the lagoon supports (fishing-commerce), how if contributes to the cultural value of the area (traditional fishing, traditional architecture, customs and tradition, monuments, history, art).
- They will come to think about the fundamental questions such as: to what degree can humans intervene with the environment?
- The teams will understand the procedure activity of the salt-works which function respecting sustainability.
Notice: Pupils for this activity will use some of the material distributed at Messolonghi Environmental Education Center (EEC of Mesolongi)
- Resource Sheets (attached)
- Mobile phones/cameras, pencils, spare sheets of paper.
- Guided tour by an expert
- Field study at the Messolonghi lagoon and Messolonghi saltworks.
- An article on each topic. Some articles will be posted by the local press/blogs.
- A podcast/video of the interviewee fisherman. (see the results)
- Students are divided into 6 mixed-nation groups. Each team has a name, the red team, the green team, theyellow team, the blue team, the dark blue team and the white team. There will be a coordinator teacher for each team.
- Each team will cover a topic:
- Interview from a local fisherman
- Traditional fishing
- The role the Messolonghi lagoon played in The Greek War of Independence of 1821. Myths and legends
- Human activities and consequences – Threats
- Messolonghi saltworks – desalination
- Fauna of the lagoon. Birdwatching
- Students are going to make a field study at the Messolonghi lagoon and Messolonghi saltworks with the help of a specialist in that field.
- Each team should collect information through cooperation, observation, research, asking questions to the specialist, taking photos and taking notes.
- Activity will continue on Friday 17 May at school (General Lyceum of Vrachneika)
- Each team will write an article about the topic they are covering, using all selected information.