This project runs from January to December. Its aim is to calculate the circumference of the Earth, reproducing Eratosthenes experiment.
Experimental activities will lead you to this result:
1. Show the curve of earth's surface and the parallelism of solar rays.
2. Observe the evolution of the shadow of a staff and deduce the course of the sun.
3. Discover the moment of solar midday (the time when the shadow is at its shortest).
4. Use a gnomon to deduce the angle of solar rays compared to the vertical.
5. Use the result of the measure from a partner to calculate the circumference of the Earth
The teachers guide and the pedagogic module detail those activities in the EEE group
The work process is determined by the 4 astronomical events (2 equinoxes, solstices 2) and promotional events (Festival of Science, workshop presentations ...)
In the Twinspace stucture, the pages are organized in different sections:
4 pages "Schools CONTINENTS" and its 104 "city, COUNTRY" chidren pages
11 pages "Months" and its 110 "Days" children pages
10 special pages : "Events Activities Archives"