The main goal of the project is to mix up different subjects such as Biology, Physics, Geography and Maths to conquer a better understanding of the "Big world" surrounding us and its dimensions, from the very very small, to the very very huge
We would like you to :
1) grow your interest for science and to develop critical mind,
2) use of the microscope,
3) enhance knowledge and skills in the scientific field,
4) improve your understanding of the different organisation levels of our living world (nanometer, micrometer, millimeter, meter, kilometer…),
5) give meaning to power of ten scientific notation,
6) develop your IT and foreign language skills through a scientific exchange project between 2 or more european partners
7) discover foreign cultures
Our project is divided in 4 steps :
STEP 1 : Who we are ! (until mid November)
- Presentation of each partner: classes. students, the town where they live in, their life or habits, their school...
- Use videos, presentations, padlets... Or any other kind of tool.
STEP 2 : COLLABORATIVE LOGO (Until end of january)
Each group inside each binational GROUP collaborate to create a logo for the project. Then every group and all students from each school vote to choose the best one.
- The winning team get points 2000 points (1600 pts and 800 pts respectively for the number 2 and number 3).
STEP 3 : collaborative BOOK (Until end of February)
- Research of an example (seen in class, textbook, found on the Internet, personnal knwoledge...) for each organisation level.
- Within each INTERNATIONAL GROUP there will be only one example of each organization level, so ou will have to agree which level will be addressed by each country inside the group
- Look for informations and photos about the examples, and write down their size using a relevant unit of measurement.
- Describe each example leading to the writing of a short text (in English AND in local language).
- Transmission of all the informations (text + pictures and / or drawings etc.) from each group of pupils to the others.
1 EXAMPLE = 1 PICTURE + 1 TEXT (few lines / sentences) + 1 SIZE using powers of ten
- All data are gathered in a collaborative ebook.
STEP 4 : building of a common object / monument database &
working on relative scales (until late of april)
Work on the notion of relative scale thanks to comparison such as, for example :
« To compare the size a virus (influenza virus) with that one of a human lymphocyte, is as comparing a man (1,8 m) with the height of the Eiffel Tower ».
- Each comparison is built using oustanding monuments (bridges, Towers, buildings…), pieces of landscape (rivers, mountains…), or any other (big) outstanding « objects » versus daily life examples : coins, toothbrush, ballpoint pen, different kind of tools, different types of balls (coming from the common database)…
But students can also :
- Perform 2D or 3D models of one example of each organization level (each group of students will be free to choose the organisation levels they want).
- Examples :
building of a scale model (planets of the solar system for example) ;
building of a wall frieze showing different levels of organisation (Virus, bacterias, human and / or plant cells…) using a relevant scale ;
- building of a document (using a relevant ITC tool such as Draw) showing 2 or more examples in a single page taking into account their size difference...
Step 5 : Final collaborative QUIZ (end of may)
At the end of the project an interactive quiz will allow to test the general knowledge of our students about this project (especially Step 2 & Step 3).
All the questions will be created / written by the students on a common text document.
This document will published in the project journal section so that students can prepare this Quiz.
Eventually only 12 questions will be selected (by the teachers) and included in the Quiz.
All the communications related to the quiz (question sheet, rules & date...) will pass throught the project journal and will be managed by students from each country !
All points from STEP 2 and Quiz are added !
In the end, the best group from each country will get a prize prepared by an other
(France prepares presents for Italy - Italy prepares presents for Spain - Spain prepares
presents for France)