This project is based on a scientific collaboration : We need the measurement of a partner school to obtain the final result
This project runs from January to December. Its aim is to calculate the circumference of the Earth, reproducing Eratosthenes experiment.
243/365 days of measure in 2017
Experimental activities will lead you to this result:
1. Show the curve of earth's surface and the parallelism of solar rays.
2. Observe the evolution of the shadow of a staff and deduce the course of the sun.
3. Discover the moment of solar midday (the time when the shadow is at its shortest).
4. Use a gnomon to deduce the angle of solar rays compared to the vertical.
5. Use the result of the measure from a partner to calculate the circumference of the Earth
The teachers guide and the pedagogic module details those activities in the EEE group
The work process is determined by the 4 astronomical events (2 equinoxes, solstices 2) and promotional events (Festival of Science, workshop presentations ...)
In the Twinspace stucture, the pages are organized in different sections:
- 4 pages "Schools CONTINENTS" and its "city, COUNTRY" chidren pages
- 12 pages "Months" and its "Days" children pages
- Special pages : (events, activities, archives) No NooN SHADOW DAYS, NEWSLETTERS, TRANSDISCIPLINARITY, VIDEOCONFERENCE, SPECIAL EVENTS
Answers to some Frequently Asked Questions are in the F.A.Q. of the Eratosthenes Library
Previous Eratosthenes projects
Access to 2005 to 2009 eTwinning projects are no longer possible